Monday, August 23, 2010

Narrow Scope: Indigo Prophecy

Despite having played Indigo Prophecy at least fifty-six times now (I have to in order to be able to complete my checklist of challenges), I decided to play it again in order to review it here.

Good grief, I forgot how tedious it is to have to choose the correct answer in order to not fail the game.

Basically, this game is the original Heavy Rain, but the difference is that it was made quite a while before Heavy Rain and had a much more fantasy-oriented story, while its ancestor had a more real-life-oriented story.

From the start, you play as a guy named Lucas Kane who has just committed some serious crime known as Muhr'Der in ancient cults, and now has to hide the unfortunate victim of this forbidden sacrifice. So what do I do?

Hide him in a bathroom stall.

I could've hidden him in a trashcan and had about the same effect, given how badly Lucas "cleans up the mess" he made afterwards.

Just for giggles, I went and spoke to the only cop in the building - the only guy who should have caught on to Lucas' noticeably uncontrollable rambling.

Normal cops wouldn't immediately chalk up rambling as "a guy having a bad night". In fact, most of the cops in my area would immediately think "something's gone down" and go to investigate the scene. Unfortunately, I guess Manhattan cops in Indigo Prophecy aren't too bright. (Or well trained. But, hey, the only two cops you ever play as are also pretty bad investigators, so I guess that should say something as a whole about what Indigo Prophecy thinks about New York.)

I tried to leave, forgot to pay the bill, DOOOOOOWWWWN goes Lucas' emotional status. That stuff is hard to keep up, you know?

So I leave the restaurant. Immediately, the cop (Martin) has to go to the bathroom. And who woulda' thunk it that a trail of red going into the only drain in the bathroom would tip him off that there's a dead body in the middle stall?

I love how casual he looks because nobody in this game can change facial expressions. Even Lucas always looks sleepy.

I should also add that out of all the cops that arrive on scene henceforth, only once is there ever more than one emergency vehicle on sight. Which is rather stupid, since usually the ambulance AND police get called to the scene, especially if it's a murder.

But, hey. This game was made in like, what, 2001? Somewhere thereabouts? There's obviously a few things wrong in the time frame from then to now.

Anyhow, so I get to play as Carla and Tyler now, as they attempt to investigate the murder scene. Ironically, it takes them the whole game to finally figure out that it was Lucas.

I could have done it as soon as I entered the room and got a DNA sample on the blood. Which, by the way, they never did. I mean, they acted like they needed one, but it never came in. Ever.

Instead, a bunch of misplaced pieces of evidence were what gave Lucas away.

I suppose that works just as well, but I still don't accept it.

That aside, as much as I like playing as Carla (there is a... certain part... that especially intrigues some players, but I'm not that kind of person, so I never really noticed it until somebody physically pointed out that she was walking around in her underwear){Fun fact: It was Shamus}, I decided to go Tyler for this bit. Mainly because he was the only playable black character in the game, and I would do no justice to him just to leave him standing in the background, you know? I mean, aside from Cole Train (you Gears of War fans would know who I'm talking about), and possibly Barret (same goes for you, Final Fantasy fans), when is the last time you were ever given the option to play as a character who wasn't a white male or Asian female?

No, wait, don't answer that, I feel I may have just offended some people...

Moving on, I get back to the apartment as Lucas, find myself having terrible dreams about his murder-fest, and then I make the mistake of watching T.V. when I get control of him again. I have to say... that was an interesting cutscene. I've never seen a creepy red stickman murder before.

{Shamus' note: It wasn't actually a red stick man murder; he just says it is because he can't think of a different description.}

And Lucas' attempts at cleaning up a crime scene IN HIS ROOM are even worse than in a bathroom. Oh, let's take the dirty shirt and toss it in the laundry, nobody's going to notice that all your shirts from then on are a mysterious shade of PINK.

And the best excuse for the cops when they search the room and go towards my room that I can give to avert them elsewhere (I forgot to get the sheet) is "My 'partner' is sleeping". Oh, you're FUNNY, Lucas. Everybody who's played this game knows you broke up with your old girlfriend years ag-

{And that's how my story ends. I was shot and killed by a sniper who happened to be a fan of the game I was reviewing, and yet somehow, despite being dead, I can still type all this out on my keyboard. I'll never know what happened that cold night in January in the toilet of an East End restaurant; I suppose chances are low that I'll be able to respawn and find out. Because in the eyes of the world, I'm just a dork reviewing a video game on his blog.}

Ha! Fooled you! 

By the way, that little bit at the end there is what happens when you fail. As anybody. Well, Lucas says something mopey to the effect of "But now, it doesn't matter; because in the eyes of the world, I'm just a murderer." Unless he ends up in the insane asylum (haven't ever gotten that ending), where he kinda' sounds amused at his predicament, and ends it with "Because to the rest of the world, I'm just a poor soul" or something. I never really listened to the full ending because the video of it I saw cut it of halfway through.

I'll probably have more to whine about later, but I think I heard my pear pie go off (no, there were no bombs included). brb, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment